first harbour was considered to be the safest in the North East. As
a result it handled a lively trade with England and the Continent.
The town was particularly famed for its marble, cut from a vein of
serpentine which runs across the braes to the west of the harbour.
Portsoy Marble was greatly appreciated for its beauty and was used
in the construction of parts of Louis XIV's Palace of Versailles.
At its peak, the 19th Century herring fleet totalled 57 boats. The
harbour was washed away in an extremely violent storm in 1828 and
it took until 1884 for the harbour to be rebuilt. Today Portsoy's
harbours are primarily used by pleasure craft and creel boats catching
lobster and crab.
Signed edition prints of original watercolour painting.